Check...check. Is this thing on? I actually had to think about what my login was to blog today. It's been that long! I don't really have a plan for jumping back in, but I'm designing things again and I miss blogging. I've been checking in on Design Editor since 2008, so this is like hanging out with old friends. All kinds of changes and things have happened since I was last here. Here it is in a nutshell:
- We moved 10 hours away. Northern Virginia to Kentucky.
- I started a new career after 15 years in a field I knew like the back of my hand. The change was way more of an adjustment that I had prepared myself for.
- We settled the family into a small rental house. Most of our stuff stayed in boxes in the garage.
- We explored our new town and nearby city, Nashville. We love with Music City!
- The girls have meltdowns that end in sobs of "I miss our old house!" and it slays me because I do too.
- I bonded with co-workers who make me cackle with laughter daily. This is huge.
- We bought a new house. Great bones, beautiful property, needs a 90's design intervention. I'll be sure to share before and afters here.
- We moved for the second time in four months. I do not recommend this for your sanity.
- I wondered what kind of crazy people move away from their family and friends and familiarity?
- The girls started Kindergarten. They love it. How do they seem so big, yet still so small all at once?
- Jim started a new teaching job right across the street from my office. We celebrated our 10th wedding anniversary in August and have promised each other a trip to Paris.
- After a few months break, I started scrapbooking again. It felt so good to tap into this creative outlet again and especially satisfying to use the products we developed at work. I can't tell you how much it meant to me to have people say they missed seeing my designs too. I am truly touched and thank you for your support!
OK, this is starting to sound like one of those formatted Christmas letters. Anyone who has moved-especially with kids-knows that it takes a while to get your sea legs back. That's where I am now. Proud of us for making a leap and taking on change, it ain't easy but it's worth it.
Thanks for reading.
1| Our old house on moving day. We lived there for nine years. I made those curtains in the playroom. 2 | Kentucky has some gorgeous views. I want to take pictures of every horse and every barn. 3 | The girls' first day of kindergarten. 4 | The new Studio Calico offices. 4 | The backyard at our new house. We love it!